Holy Cross Hospital is excited to bring Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exams to Taos. Genius exams are clinically proven to significantly increase the detection of breast cancers, and also decrease the number of women asked to return for additional testing.
Better, Earlier Breast Cancer Detection, Right Here in Taos.
You no longer need to drive to Santa Fe to get a state-of-the-art 3D mammogram. This is the latest released Genius 3D Breast Tomosynthesis Mammography machine from Hologic and is the most advanced machine in Northern New Mexico.
In conventional 2D Mammography, overlapping tissue is a leading reason why small breast cancers may be missed, and normal tissue may appear abnormal, leading to unnecessary callbacks. The Genius exam available at Holy Cross Hospital includes a three-dimensional method of imaging that can greatly reduce the tissue overlap effect.
Call our Imaging and Radiology Department to learn how to schedule your Mammography in Taos.
How it Works
The Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam allows doctors to examine your breast tissue layer by layer. So, instead of viewing all of the complexities of your breast tissue in a flat image, as with conventional 2D mammography, fine details are more visible and no longer hidden by the tissue above or below. The Genius exam consists of a 2D and 3D™ image set, where the 2D image can be either an acquired 2D image or a 2D image generated from the 3D™ image set.
More than 200 clinical studies have shown that by using this technology, doctors are able to screen for breast cancer with greater accuracy1-7* — which means better breast cancer detection and a reduced chance of being called back for additional screenings.1-6*
What to Expect During Your Exam
The process of a Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam is the same as your conventional 2D exam. The technologist will position you, compress your breast, and take images from different angles. There’s no additional compression required with the Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam, and it only takes a few extra seconds for an exam, proven to be more accurate.1-6*
The technologist will view the images of your breasts at the computer workstation to ensure quality images have been captured for review. A radiologist will then examine the images and report results to either your physician or directly to you.
Reasons to Get Screened
- 1 in 8 Women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime.9
- 8 our of 9 Women diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history.9
- But, with early detection, the five-year survival rate is almost 100%.10
A Genius exam includes both 2D images and tomosynthesis scans. During the tomosynthesis-DIMENSIONAL portion of the exam, an X-ray arm sweeps in a slight arc over the breast, taking multiple images. A computer then converts the images into a stack of thin layers, allowing the radiologist to review the breast tissue one layer at a time. A Genius exam requires no additional compression and takes just a few seconds longer than a conventional 2D breast cancer screening exam.
Researchers have found that:
- The Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam finds 20-65% more invasive breast cancers compared to 2D alone, an average increase of 41%.3
- The Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam reduces callbacks by up to 40% compared to 2D alone.2,4
Holy Cross Hospital is committed to the fight against breast cancer and Holy Cross is proud to be the first in the region to offer this state-of-the-art technology. In offering the Genius exam, Holy Cross Hospital provides a more accurate tool for breast cancer screening.1-7
Early detection saves lives and The American College of Radiology (ACR) and Society of Breast Imaging (SBI) recommend that women start getting annual mammograms at age 40.
Talk to your doctor about getting a referral to Holy Cross Hospital for a Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam.
2. Results from Friedewald, SM, et al. “Breast cancer screening using tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography.” JAMA 311.24 (2014): 2499-2507; a multi-site (13), non-randomized, historical control study of 454,000 screening mammograms investigating the initial impact the introduction of the Hologic Selenia Dimensions on screening outcomes. Individual results may vary. The study found an average 41% (95% CI: 20-65%) increase and that 1.2 (95% CI: 0.8-1.6) additional invasive breast cancers per 1000 screening exams were found in women receiving combined 2D FFDM and 3D™ mammograms acquired with the Hologic 3D Mammography™ System versus women receiving 2D FFDM mammograms only.
3. Zuckerman SP, Conant EF, Keller BM, et al. Implementation of Synthesized Two-dimensional Mammography in a Population-based Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Screening Program. Radiology. 2016 Dec;281(3):730-736.
4. Skaane P, Bandos A, Eben EB et al. Two view digital breast tomosynthesis screening with synthetically reconstructed projection images: comparison with digital breast tomosynthesis with full-field digital mammographic images. Radiology. 2014 Jun;271(3):655-63.
5. Bernardi D, Macaskill P, Pellegrini M et al. Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis (3D mammography) with acquired or synthetic 2D mammography compared with 2D mammography alone (STORM-2): a population-based prospective study. Lancet Oncol. 2016 Aug;17(8):1105-13.
6. McDonald ES, Oustimov A, Weinstein SP et al. Effectiveness of Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Compared With Digital Mammography: Outcomes Analysis From 3 Years of Breast Cancer Screening. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Jun 1;2(6):737-43.
7. Rafferty EA, Durand, MA, Conant EF, et al. Breast Cancer Screening Using Tomosynthesis and Digital Mammography in Dense and Nondense Breasts. JAMA. 2016 Apr 26,:315(16):1784-6.
8. National cancer institute:http://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/risk-fact-sheet
9. US breast cancer statistics. Breastcancer.org.http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/understand_bc/statistics. Accessed March 27, 2015. 10. American Cancer Society: http//www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/detailedguide/breast-cancer-survival-by-stage The Genius™ 3D MAMMOGRAPHY ™exam (a.k.a. Genius™ exam) is acquired on the Hologic 3D Mammography™ system and consists of a 2D and 3D™ image set, where the 2D image can be either an acquired 2D image or a 2D image generated from the 3D™ image set. The Genius™ exam is only available on the Hologic 3D Mammography™ system. Please consult your physician for a full list of benefits and risks associated with mammography. PP-01938 Rev. 002 (6/17) © 2017 Hologic, Inc. Hologic, 3D, 3D Mammography, Dimensions, Genius, Selenia, The Science of Sure, and associated logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Hologic, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries in the US and/or other countries.